Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Kayaking Adventure on Georgian Bay


I moved back to the Bruce in January. In April I bought my first kayak. I’d been thinking about it for a long time, so I just went ahead and did it. I chose a Current Designs Vision 130. She is a 33lb Kevlar beauty! I chose this particular boat because I wanted something that I can, with moderate effort, load onto my car and go for a tour, whenever I want, without anyone’s help.


I soon discovered that I love paddling! It’s not really something I can describe, its serenity and exhilaration at once with a dash of I don’t know what thrown in. Whether it be with a few of the girls, just putting along shooting the breeze or a solo leisurely cruise along the shore of Georgian Bay, I’m in awe of this amazing place I grew up in and was smart enough to return to.

My paddling goal for this summer is to kayak the Georgian Bay Coastline of the Peninsula in its entirety. I have planned a mix of short haul two hour trips to longer half day paddles and a couple overnighters.
Lion's Head Paddling Georgian Bay





I’m clearly a novice paddler, and normally paddle longer trips by myself, so I don’t go out when the winds and waves are too high. My boat also doesn’t have a rudder at this point. I may get one before the end of the summer is out, but I might just see how I make out too.


I’ve yet to find my boat’s tipping point so I’m not sure what all she is capable of. I will do some practice with tips and rescues later on in the summer, I’m just waiting for the water to warm up a bit! Another paddling investment to be made before fall is a wetsuit...


Anyway, stay tuned for stories about my adventures on the Georgian Bay Coastline of the Beautiful Bruce Peninsula. Hopefully I’ll see some of you out there!


Your Adventure Starts Now



No comments: